Saturday, August 22, 2009

My children's contribution to my growth in holiness!

Catechism of the Catholic Church 2227: “Children in turn contribute to the growth in holiness of their parents.”

Lord I find it so hard as a mom to stay focused on you throughout the day. I feel like there are constantly distraction thrown in my face, but then I realize that you are in those moments and those are moments filled with lots of grace. You are in the diapers the messes the temper tantrums and it is in finding you in those things that I stay united to you throughout my day. I find it so ironically comical that this is my path to heaven. I always thought it would be through some major excursion to another country doing missionary work or in martyrdom, but the more I experience life I realize this slow martyrdom is very difficult and requires constancy and little by little I achieve my goal. It is so easy to find myself slipping backwards in just a second. I find that this forced selflessness (motherhood) causes me to squirm often and want to rebel and fight back for my selfishness. Each of these little blessings takes a little piece of me and boy does it hurt. It is when I have my own agenda that things get distorted. It is you in the baby’s hungry cry; it is you in the fighting children that need my love and attention in order to teach them how to work together. It is you that I serve through these little guys in all of these small, but beautiful ways! I glorify you! It is so easy to forget this in the day-to-day happenings. Many days I feel like a quickly moving train and in a split second I get off track and continue down the path because it is so hard to stop the moving train. Help me Lord to be faithful to this noble path of motherhood! I need it! I feel so unworthy of being a mother to your children. Thanks Lord Thanks for entrusting these little souls to me, but please help me. It has to be you not me. I am only capable of messing things up. All that I bring to the vocation is my sinfulness, but you bring the beauty and the possibility of all that motherhood could and should be and through you and with you I can be a great and holy mother!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Lauri, thank you for your beautiful prayer about being a mom. I have always looked to you for advice, laughter, consolation, and empathy as I, like you, learn to give more and more of myself to my sweet Ava and Lucas. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is SO true; painful & beautiful; but true!
    our children are the fire that burns away our selfishness...oh it's SO not easy!
    thanks for your transparency...blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! i needed to see this from you! it is such a blessing to see that other moms feel the same way i do. and the wording of this prayer is beautiful. i usually end up saying, "Dear Lord, HELP!!!!!" Maybe i should print yours out and try it instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I needed that today. Thanks Lauri. - Beth Carter

    ReplyDelete