Saturday, August 15, 2009

Labor and Delivery









So this was the best labor and delivery yet! Here is how it all went.
I woke up throughout the night Tuesday night with strong, but very sporadic contractions. Branden and I knew the next morning labor was definitely approaching we just needed to help it along knowing my body! So Branden took the day off because we knew we would be busy getting everything ready and I would need to focus on bring the baby properly down into the pelvis and did not need to be breaking up fights, changing poopy diapers, wiping booties, fixing meals etc... All my energy needed to be focused on having this sweet little babe! Little Finn had not dropped yet so the proper descent is critical for the delivery and for a good labor so I was really focused on doing what it took during the contractions to get him wedged in the right way in order to cut down on my pushing time, properly progressing labor and less painful contractions. We started the day off with a good breakfast and packing for the hospital and then we decided to go to the mall and walk around the mall because it was so hot outside and I did not want to get to tired. After walking and the kids played and had a special lunch at the mall we headed home for naps. At the mall my contraction were strong but 10 to 15 minutes apart and not getting closer. We came home and rested and then it was back to walking through the neighborhood and a bike ride for everyone else. This is when the contractions began to get closer about every 6 or 7 minutes apart and they were great contractions! I am such a person of anticipation that these moments are actually quite thrilling for me. I love the anticipation of the upcoming labor and then once I am in labor of the the thought of experiencing once again the miracle of seeing a new little life take its first breath. There is nothing in the world like this experience! I love it! To be given the opportunity to do this is such a privelage and I can't believe God gives me this opportunity! So it is about 5:30pm and dinner is being served. I of course pass and continue with my 5 to 6 min contractions until 8:30pm when we get in the car to take the kids to the Coyles (friends in Tn). My mom was on her way, but would not arrive until 10pm. We dropped the kids off in their pjs for a movie night at the Coyles (how thrilling is that for a little kid). To stay up past their bedtime and go to their friends house to watch a movie in their pjs! The kids forgot about the baby at this point because they had such an exciting night ahead of them! We headed to the hospital! It was smooth sailing from this point on. I arrived at 5cm at 9:30 and then at 1:46am little Finn took his first breath. Finnian has broad shoulders as do his brothers which always makes it a little difficult when they are coming out,but he made it and is perfect in every way!

3 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! Little Finn is PRECIOUS and looks just like Gavin to me. We were happy to help! :) Can't wait to meet him.

    Love, The Coyles

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your birth story...delivery is SO amazing!! to think our bodies are DESIGNED to provide an environment for life & then deliver a child..isn't God AMAZING!
    i do hope to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God for this new life! Great meeting little Finn at church on Sunday. and i wasn't a bit surprised that you had him at mass already!

    ReplyDelete