Friday, January 6, 2012

and he noticed....

We were in Disney at MGM Studios on The Great Movie Ride. We were on the ride and at the end of the ride they pull you up to a big screen that shows you clips of a bunch of movies. One of the clips was of a woman dressed in a one piece bathing suit with a low neck line. She is walking from the water in a provocative way with a look on her face that compliments the walk and everything about the image from her hair to her toes screams sexy and screams objectify me. And He Noticed...Our son (7) for the very first time noticed. In a loud voice he said ewww and turned his eyes from the image. His innocence was attacked. It was a knife to his soul and he felt it and he turned from the pain that it caused his innocence. I was obviously saddened by the opportunity for that to happen, but then I gave thanks that we were able to be there with him for that moment. I was so thankful that he gets to be with me at home during these early years to protect him and guard his innocence, so when it is attacked it can be known rather than go unnoticed. I was glad because that attack could be guided by his parents rather than his peers. I can limit how often it is seen by guarding him, but the fact is it will be seen at some point whether it is on a billboard or at a grocery store, but the part that I can change is how we shape what is seen. I can control being there I can help form his heart and his mind in a way that is pleasing to God and in a way that respects and loves women rather than objectifies them. I feel such a strong commitment especially to my boys to protect their purity to teach them how to love women and not objectify them. I want them to cherish and protect women. I want them to feel a responsibility for protecting the dignity of every woman.

2 comments:

  1. I think the way Tristan responded speaks for how well you are doing your job. Keep it up sister. Many more of those moments to come. Pray for me and I pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right in saying that it's better that Tristan have his parents there to help him deal with this sort of thing, rather than internalizing it and letting all of these types of images shape the way he views women and the world. I dread the moment when Jonah starts becoming aware of this kind of thing, but I know it's coming, and we need to be prepared to help him process all of it as it inevitably comes at him on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete