Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Nothing is created to live for itself...even FLIES!

So one of the latest and greatest things we have dealt with in the past month was an invasion of flies into our home! So here is the story. The weather was beautiful and the doors were open and evening came and there were 15 flies on the inside of the window in Gavin's room. I thought, how odd they all flocked to this one window but I got a newspaper shut the door and started swatting at the gross little things. I didn't leave the room until all 15 were dead. I then put Gavin to bed feeling completely satisfied that all of the flies were out of the room. Morning comes and in a rush I did not even think twice about the fly massacre that took place the night before. We spent the beautiful day with the doors open and night came again and lo and behold I heard flies against the window, there were 10 more gross flies in that same window. At this point I was tired and thought again, how odd that they all came to this window, but we did have the doors open all day today. I closed the door so none of them could escape and did the same thing I did the night before. I killed all 10 of them with my total count at 25! I put him to bed and went to do laundry and as I was doing the laundry it occurred to me that maybe just maybe in our house where there are two children wearing diapers and especially a boy like Gavin that poops 8 times a day, there may be a poopy diaper hiding somewhere. Now this has NEVER ever happened before in our home so this would be a very odd occurrence, but definitely a possibility! Side Note: Unpacking our Christmas decorations we got to the bottom of a box and there was a dirty pee diaper from last year that got packed away in a box of Christmas stuff...no kidding...how gross is that! So in the dark of the room I searched a bit with my nose and with my eyes as much as I could see and there was nothing to be found. Morning came and I checked again in the light of the day and no diaper was to be found, but I did hear flies in the window once again. I went to the window and there were six flies. Okay so now that is super weird the door was shut and all flies had been killed and six more appeared. I think Gavin has had at least one bath this month, he shouldn't be that stinky! Two days and 60 flies later we call our landlord to have someone come and figure out why the flies are coming into our house and how they are coming in. Our landlord finally got someone out here 9 days and 150 flies into the whole ordeal. We moved Gavin out of his room on the third day to the bottom bunk that was waiting for him in Tristan's room and we would keep the door to the fly room shut all day and then go and kill flies at night. With all of this going on I really began to dislike flies and one night after killing 20 or so I googled the purpose of flies because I honestly thought flies had no purpose but to annoy us and just be disgustingly dirty and they should not exist. Well let me tell you. I found out that many many species of birds eat flies, as do many reptiles and amphibians. Even some other insects feed on flies. Flies also assist us by speeding up decomposition. So after finding this out I realized that we do need flies and God created them for a specific purpose in which they fulfill perfectly. I realized I am created for a specific purpose as well but many times I don't fulfill it perfectly because God also gave me the freedom to choose and I can choose to do God's will or not. I am given the capacity to choose my path and a fly is not. A fly was created for a specific purpose and it completes its task because it is not given the option to love or not to love. On the other hand I am free and freely given an opportunity to make holy, good, or not so good choices and all of my choices affect those around me. My decisions can build up or hurt the body of Christ, the Church. Selfishness so often stands in my way of fulfilling the plan God has in store for me, but of course in his mercy he is constantly guiding me back and allowing me to try again and again and again. In light of the flies I also realized just how important each little insect is in making the world go round and function as God created it, we even need the flies that don't have a soul. I can't even fathom what an effect it must be to discard souls through abortion. I can't imagine how that must distort the plan of God. If flies being removed from the world makes a big impact on the food chain and decomposition and they don't even have soul then I wonder how much of an impact it makes to get rid of souls on our own terms in our time, not Gods.
Okay so what happened with the flies you are saying to yourself...well there was rotted wood in the window that allowed them to get into our house through the window in the babies room, but as to why there were so many and why they chose our home...I just don't know!

No comments:

Post a Comment